Thursday, April 24, 2008

Welcome to My Blog!

Being new to the "blogosphere", I approached the idea of writing something for the internet with trepidation. I have an irrational fear of technology, don't own a cell phone, I'm a dyed in the wool Ludditte. And, since I live in New York, and wish to share my process of this exciting project, and since I cannot physically come to everyone's living room (though I've come to a few, you know who you are), I have overcome my phobias and started this blog.

In case you don't know, or haven't met me (though I feel like I've met half the population of Northern Ohio) I'm a playwright. Born in New Jersey, raised on the East Coast, I went to the Mid West for college. Northwestern University, where my commencement speaker was fellow alumni Charleton Heston. I was deeply saddened by his death last week. I mean the man wore cowboy boots when he handed me my diploma. He in some way, set me on my path to Cleveland and writing this new play. Since those early days, I have had a career in the theater, where I worked with among many others, including Seth Gordon of the Cleveland Play House, on the development of many new plays, my own and other writers'. I have always admired Seth, he has continually shown great taste and insight, and it was he who approached me to work on this endeavor.

The JCC, a wonderful organization, contacted me on Seth's recommendation to see if I would like to write a new play focusing on the Jewish community in Cleveland. Its rich history, its culture, the countless stories of families and individuals that made Cleveland into the thriving, important city it is. I was very intrigued, but as I've said, not being a resident (though I have worked as an actor at the Cleveland Play House years ago), Anne DesRosiers, Seth and I decided the best way to start was to speak directly to you, the members of the community. Meetings were set up. In February I did five days of interviews, meeting people in their homes, at the JCC, at the Cleveland historical society. Again and again, I was overwhelmed by the generous amount of time people gave me to tell their stories. Again and again I was deeply moved by the stories they told. Stories of great struggle, of love, of tragedy. And they re-enforced my feeling that Cleveland was a city teeming with drama, ripe for a play that could try and capture the depth of Jewish life. I toured the city itself, helped by the wonderful Sean Martin of the Western Reserve Historical Society. I got a running commentary as we viewed the old Jewish neighborhoods, the temples, the factories, the schools. I was given so much material to do research with, personal biographies and family histories. Books on the dynamic Rabbi Silver, on architecture, on the garment trade, on life in Cleveland over two hundred years.
It was amazing.

Now I begin my own personal journey, to take all this in, to process it, to begin to write the play. And to share that journey with you. I will continue to speak to many, by phone interviews or by letter, or dare I say it, e-mail. I know it will be a wonderful experience, thanks to the people of Cleveland and the JCC.

Till next blog........

No comments: